Saturday, May 15, 2010

Eating and Drinking

So the "Be Married" has been discussed, as for the eating and drinking, not so much. My roommate and I planned to have a party Friday night, but then decided not to. Well, I bought too much party foods, so I made them anyways... for dinner. Luckily David was going to a bachelor party at the beach so I sent him away with the leftovers. We had a delightful dinner of chips and guacamole, fresh fruit with a yummy dip, and mango mojitos without the mint- well because me and David don't like mint, but you could easily put the mint back in. I don't follow recipes when I cook normally so here is my approximate, do-your-best-guess-at-what-feels-right-and-tastes-good-when-you-try-it kinda recipes:

Mango Mojito Minus Mint (look at that alliteration)
1 mango (puree it up with a little water and sugar if it isn't as sweet as you would have hoped for, that's what happened with ours) and set aside
In a cup, add 1/2 a lime cut into quarters and one sugar packet of sugar in the raw (I may or may not have stolen these from surrounding Starbucks- but only because I couldn't find them in the stores). Use the handle of a wooden spoon to muddle the limes and sugar, a great way to work off your frustrations from the day (If you want the mint, add it with the limes and sugar and muddle all together). Add 1/2 the mango puree, a shot or two of mango rum, ice, and top it off with club soda. Serve with a colorful straw and repeat so your other half gets a drink too. These were very tasty and just what I needed after teaching 1st grade for the week. I took a picture but am not artist and am not a good photographer, so they didn't turn out. And David was getting grumpy for making him wait to eat and drink so I could document our dinner. So I gave up, on with the guacamole!

Guacamole (quite a big batch):
six ripe avocados
1/4 cup fine diced red onion (they are purple not red)
1/2-1 jalapeno finely diced
1/4 cup minced cilantro, or more- I love cilantro
3 limes with the juice squeezed out of them- I made David do this because I was finding all the paper cuts I have acquired from teaching 1st grade.

Put everything in a big bowl and mash away- I used a pasty cutter, it works well to mash it up but leaving some texture and chucks of avocado- just the way I like it!



I didn't take a picture of the fruit dip, but it is just white and doesn't look special in anyway. But it is so easy and oh so good. Take two softened blocks of cream cheese and mix with a jar of marshmallow fluff: That's it! YUM We ate ours with pineapple, grapes, and strawberries. And I maybe had it for breakfast this morning, with the leftover mango from our drinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment