Sunday, September 26, 2010

Mexican Inspirations Part Two

My experience with making chili rellenos was both good and bad. The good- they were very tasty! The bad- well, the anahiem peppers were MUCH spicier than the last time I used them. Just from cutting the tops off and taking the seeds out then touching my mouth- my lips and tongue were on fire and red, my fingers burned for 2 days after, and worst of all I found out that the oils stick around for a long, long time no matter how many times you wash your hands- therefore putting my contacts in the following morning was the most intense pain ever!

On to the recipe...
I used half anaheim peppers and half poblanos- I would recommend using only poblanos because as I found out the hard way, sometimes anaheim peppers are very, very hot (if you do use these, make sure you wear gloves, honestly these were way hotter than any jalapeno I've worked with, or at least this patch was). I put the peppers on a cookie sheet and roast at 400* until black and blistered on the outside. Remove the peppers and cover tightly with foil to steam for 15 minutes. The pepper skins will remove easily after this, also remove the stem and seeds to prepare for stuffing. For the stuffing: I shred 2-3 chicken breasts, 1/4 or so of chopped cilantro, 3-4 sliced green onions, 3 ears of lightly grilled corn- cut off the cob, 1 cup of shredded Mexican cheese, 1/2 cup of queso fresco cheese, 1/2 cup of sour cream to help bind, salt and pepper and mix it all together. I then stuff them into the peppers, lay into a baking dish (I do not bread and fry my peppers), and top with a little more queso fresco. I bake until they are brown and bubbling on top. We topped ours with sour cream and served it with refried black beans... and lava-flow pina coladas (regular on the bottom, add strawberries- mix, and pour on top).

No comments:

Post a Comment